4/11/11

Ubuntu 10.10 vs Windows 7 review



I am currently evaluating the latest Ubuntu 10.10 on my Asus K42J notebook by taking advantage of the Live-USB feature. No installation needed so nothing to fuss about if this version of Linux OS doesn't work for me.


Here are some comparo between Ubuntu and Windows 7:

<< Price >>

Even if Windows 7 is sold by half of the original amount, nothing can beat the price of Ubuntu which literally costs you nothing. With just a click of a mouse, you can order a free cd via mail or download an .iso format on their website.



<< Security >>


Every time I do a fresh install of Win7, next on my to-do-list is installing a firewall and antivirus. With Ubuntu, I can relax and do away with those apps. No worries about internet  threats and flash drives infused with viruses. 



<< Internet >>


Unlike previous versions of Ubuntu, I have to play with terminal commands and scripts so that my modem can be recognized. With the latest version, my 3G ext. modem was identified instantly. You only need to edit the connections menu and select your country. All major telecoms - Globe, Sun and Smart - are supported with this version. My only caveat is the modem signal maxes out about 48%. In windows mode, the signal reaches to around 93%-99%  and stays on 3G HSDPA most of the time. But even with this condition, browsing in Ubuntu is a lot quicker than in  Win7 mode. I've been using Chrome for quite some time now, and with adblock installed, it behaves quite differently in Linux. What frustrates me is Chrome's inability to access the Gmail and Blogger website. Is this some kind of goof up? Maybe it's just my system's setup but still I can only access those websites thru Safari browser on a lucky day. Back to linux, I upgraded Firefox to version 4 as it is faster then the 3.5 browser. But still my choice for surfing is Chromium. Viewing text and images are sharper and causes less strain on the eyes.


<< Applications >>


Ubuntu's Software Center is a gold mine. Applications are a click away and free. That's right, it's free. Again. And I believe compatibility is a not a major issue. Unlike in Windows 7,  even if it says it will work with your current OS, it might not work with the rest of your installed softwares. Not all applications are free in Windows 7 which is a kinda of a letdown.


As a final note, there's still some issues with hardware compatibility.  My laptop's Fn keys are inoperable in Linux. I don't have any idea how to turn my web camera on without the keyboard keys. Open Office's compatibility with MS Office still has a few bugs. And of course, I won't be able to run the latest games available in the market.


Maybe I won't be able to switch to a full Ubuntu system just yet. I still favor Windows  as it   
evolved into a more stable OS. But I liked how Linux interact with the internet. It's fast and secure. Thank god for a dual-boot setup.





No comments: